A Light in the Darkness
In our worship gathering on Sunday, we jumped back in to our summer series “I AM: Facing Uncertain times with an ever-present God.” Join us for this great exploration into the identity of God…a God who can help us weather the storms of this season by being a steadfast anchor for us to cling to!
On Sunday, we checked out a new, bold “I AM” statement of Jesus. He was in Jerusalem during the national Jewish “Feast of Tabernacles.” This annual, holy holiday was instituted by God centuries ago to help his Israelite nation remember how He had victoriously liberated them from slavery in Egypt. Fiery sacrifices were being offered at the Temple and people were remembering how God guided His people through the Wilderness in a “pillar of fire” by night (Exodus 13:21-22). In this context, Jesus stands up and makes another bold claim:
John 8:12 “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
Jesus’ new “I AM” statement proclaims Himself as the new guiding light from God for His people. He is the light that reveals who God is, shows us the way to go, removes the harm and hindrances of darkness we face, and brings life to those who follow after (see video explanation). This was a bold statement about Himself! But it was true.
At that moment, some who heard Jesus proclaim this became curious to learn more. Some grew fearful or furious over how Jesus spoke of His authority to speak for and about God.
What about you? How do you respond to Jesus claiming to be the Light of the World?
Take a moment to meet with God
regarding these thoughts. Remove distractions, find a place to be still, and tune
your ears for His voice.
Consider Ephesians 5:8 - “…at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light…”
- What was the darkness you used to walk in? How did Jesus rescue you into the new realm of light? Thank Him for that!
- How does your lifestyle show you are a child of light now, no longer belonging to darkness?
- What ‘darkness’ do you see undergirding the words and worldviews of our culture today?
- How can you combat the harm of untrue ideas by being grounded in Christ’s light? How can you take steps forward this week to pursue Jesus and the truth He illuminates?
Bible Reading Plan for the week
Jesus claimed to be the Water of Life and Light of the World during the annual, national Jewish holy holiday of “Tabernacles.” Grow in God by soaking in these Scriptures describing what happened with Jesus during this Festival back then! *Use an easy-to-read printed Bible, or even an audio bible while you exercise or commute! (or explore other Bible reading plans). Enjoy!
- Monday, July 6 John 7:1-24
- Tuesday, July 7 John 7:25-36
- Wednesday, July 8 John 7:37-52
- Thursday, July 9 John 8:1-11
- Friday, July 10 John 8:12-30
Explore, learn, and grow more!
Learning alongside you,